We offer the following Leaving Certificate Applied Programme:
The Leaving Certificate Applied is a two-year Leaving Certificate available to students who wish to follow a practical programme with a strong vocational emphasis. With a certificate in Leaving Cert Applied students may do a Post Leaving Cert course and if they choose may continue into higher education.
Feel free to contact our LCA co-coordinator Siobhan Lambert on email@example.com or 023-8833877
Difference between LCA and Traditional Leaving Cert
The subjects that can be studied for LCA can be divided into three main areas:
- General Education subjects,
- Vocational Preparation subjects,
- Vocational Education subjects.
General Education subjects:
(All students study the following subjects)
- English & Communication
- Mathematical Applications
- Vocational Preparation & Guidance
- Introduction to ICT
- Social Education
- Arts Education
- Gaeilge Chumarsáideach (in 1st Yr) / Spanish (in 2nd Yr)
- Leisure and Recreation
(Students choose 2 specialisms)
- Engineering OR Hotel, Catering and Tourism
- Graphics and Construction Studies OR Art, Craft and Design
(Students study short courses called electives)
How is LCA assessed?
- Completing coursework for their modules or Key Assignments
- Seven projects or Student Tasks
- Seven Final Exams
Progression Routes after LCA
LCA as Preparation for Work
Specialisms – These are vocational areas of study that help the students develop specific skills and knowledge relevant to a range of careers. Students choose two of these to study from a choice of eleven.